With Riesling Spätlese
- 3 aged cheeses of your choice
Yellow tomato and Cape gooseberry compote
- 1/2 pkg of Yellow Cherry Tomatoes about 20 tomatoes
- 1/2 pkg of Cape Gooseberries about 10 berries (physallis)
- 1 1/2 tsp. powdered-gelatin
- 1 1/2 tbsp. white balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 tsp. (red) balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 tsp. Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 vanilla bean (optional)
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- Keep cheeses chilled before cutting.
- For perfectly-cut cheeses, wipe off knife between each cut. Cut the cheeses in triangular pieces, I like to do ”right triangles” for this recipe, meaning that one angel is 90˚. See image.
- Plate the cheeses and leave in room temperature
Yellow tomato compote
- Quarter the tomatoes and gooseberries
- Combine gelatin and 1 tbsp white balsamic in a small bowl; whisk together
- Put berries and tomatoes in a small sauté pan with gelatin mixture, vanilla bean, salt and a generous serving of black pepper
- Sauté on medium heat for two minutes
- Remove from heat and add olive oil, another ½ tbsp white balsamic, as well as the regular balsamic.
- Garnish with a basil florette for the perfect flavor addition!
- Why not try to find one cheese of sheeps milk, one of goats milk, and one of cows milk for some delicious variation. The compote also works with blue cheeses, though I would then recommend enjoying it with a Sauternes, Tokaji or a sweet apple juice.