With California Viognier
- 2 thick pacific cod fillets or 4 cod back fillets
- 1 c dry White wine
- 1 c heavy cream
- 3 tsp. white balsamic vinegar
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. fine tarragon
-- Risotto --
- 1 small celery root (celeriac)
- 1 red bell pepper
- 3/4 c white wine
- 2 c heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 3/4 c Arborio/Arborio rice
- 1 1/2 L bouillon
- 1 L plain yoghurt (optional)
- 2 shallots
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 1/2 c water
- 5 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 c white wine
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 tbsp. finely grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1 tbsp. White balsamic vinegar
- Warm oven to 350F / 175C
- If you are working with pacific cod fillets, slice them down the middle line of the fillet, and trim off the thinnest part of the tail end.
- In a baking dish about 7*7 inches / 18*18cm add cream, and slowly whisk in white wine, salt and vinegar.
- Place the fish in the baking dish.
- Divide butter into 8 pieces and place a couple pieces of butter on each piece of fish.
- Put in the oven for 15 minutes.
- While the cod is in the oven chop tarragon.
- When the cod is ready, take it out of its cooking liquid and place it on a cutting board or plate, and sprinkle with tarragon.
-- Risotto --
- Dice the vegetables
- Simmer vegetables in cream and white wine, with salt until soft (circa 45 minutes). Don’t forget to stir vegetables regularly while they simmer!
- Place a paper tower in a sieve/strainer over a bowl and pour yogurt over paper towel; allow to drip. (Can be started hours ahead to extract the most amount of whey)
- While making the risotto reduce yogurt whey on medium heat until it reaches a syrup like consistency.
- In a pot, bring bouillon to a simmer.
- Finely chop shallots.
- In a large sauté pan with high edges, sauté the shallots in water, 2 tbs olive oil, and ¼ tsp salt until slightly golden.
- Set shallots aside in a small bowl.
- In the same sauté pan, Sauté rice and 3 tbs olive oil on medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Add white wine.
- Stir bouillon into rice, one ladle at a time, until absorbed.
- Meanwhile, finely grate Parmesan, equating to 3 tbsp.
- When rice kernels still have a gummy bite to them, take off heat and add in one more ladle of bouillon, 2 cups of the vegetable puré, butter, parmesan, the reduced yogurt whey, white balsamic and salt and pepper to taste.
- This recipe can be used with any herb of your choice! You can roast the vegetables at 375 F/190 C for 15 minutes with a sprinkling of salt before simmering them to further intensify the flavors of the vegetables.